Are you curious about the 4 Bases in Relationship ? You are in the right spot.This article will explain the basics, their meanings, and how they relate with intimacy in a relationship.
We will also discuss our view of the four bases.
What exactly are “Bases” in Dating?
To describe the distance someone has travelled with them physically, people use the metaphor of ‘bases’
These euphemisms tend to be used most often in the United States so people interpret them differently.
The four bases are generally:
- Kissing – First base
- Second base – Touching, fondling and touching
- Third base – Stimulation under the waist
- Homerun – Sexual intercourse
The base system is actually based on baseball, so you need to be familiar with the game to understand it.
Baseball is a complex sport, which makes it difficult to explain. Here’s a quick explanation for those who have never seen or played baseball.
- A pitcher throws the ball at the batter and they need to hit it as far as possible.
- They have three bases and a home plate, where the ball is hit.
- After the pitcher hits the ball, he or she must claim the bases surrounding the pitch by running to them, touching them, and then returning to their home-plate.
- Points are awarded based on the number of bases you have. If the batter gets back to the plate, it’s called the home-run, and the team wins.
Bases are a way to communicate sexual experiences. The system has been around for many decades.
Some believe it was popularized during World War II when sex was still taboo and people didn’t know how to openly discuss it.
Due to movies like American Pie, the base system was quickly adopted in popular culture during both the 1990s and early 2000s.
The base system is not uniform.
These definitions may not be universal. What each base means depends on who you are talking to and what they know.
You may not be familiar with the terms.
This could lead to miscommunications between friends and sexual partners.
It’s helpful to be familiar with the most common bases in such cases.
The 4 Bases
- There’s plenty of scope for interpretation with the base system.
- Some people might not consider kissing without a tongue to be part of the first base. Others may consider oral sex to be part of the home base.
- Sexting is one example of an act that doesn’t fall under certain definitions. It’s up to the individual to decide where each act falls within these guidelines.
These are the most common definitions of the four bases.
First Base: Kissing
The first base is the beginning point of baseball. It’s also considered the first glimpse at success.
This means that kissing, even though it is the most innocent of romantic actions and the beginning point for all other things, leads to more meaningful touches as well as deeper intimacy.
Although mild kissing can be included in first base, such as quick pecks or light kissing, most people think of first base more like French kissing, open-mouth, French kissing or snogging.
It’s a crucial moment to get to know your partner if it is your first time.
A good kiss can trigger the brain to release happy chemicals throughout your body. Most people also gauge their physical chemistry by how they kiss.
It is possible that the kiss will be perceived differently by each partner. If you do not want to continue, tell your partner.
There are no set times that you should be “supposed to” move on to the next level after your first base.
Your partner might expect you to do more after intense kissing. It’s important to be comfortable with each other and ready to go.
Second Bases in Relationship : Fondling and Touching
- It is a huge deal to get to second base in baseball.
- There are only four bases so you’re already half way home. The possibility of winning is even greater.
- Second base for many is an extra step from just kissing and more sensual territory.
- The stimulation or petting of the second base is above the waist. This includes touching, feeling and fondling the chest and breasts as well as the nipples, either above or beneath clothing.
- Second base is the natural progression of kissing. As it gets more intense, your hands start to move and you feel more comfortable.
- You can see more skin-toskin, while your mood is elevated and your chemistry flows.
- Straight men likely decided that second base was limited to “fondling breasts”, since they wouldn’t have much else to concentrate on than the waist.
- Others consider this second base and include touching and groping your butt.
- It is possible to count the touch of a person around the erogenous areas.
- The erogenous areas are areas that have a large number of nerve endings. They’re extremely sensitive to touch.
- The erogenous zones can be used to connect you with your partner and help you discover their interests.
- Apart from your ears, mouth and lips, your partner might have unusual, personal erogenous areas like their inside wrists, their thighs, or their hip bones.
- Third Bases in Relationship : Stimulation below-the-waist
- Because it shares many elements, the third base can be difficult to identify and vague for some people.
- Third base is for many lovers the most intimate place to have sex, as it takes the sex into new territory below their waist.
- Third base in a sport sense is very close to home. This usually requires direct contact with the genitals.
- Third base is when you stop chaste kissing or groping over your clothes.
- It can be used to touch, feel, fondle, stroke, or finger the vagina, penis, clitoris, or testicles.
- This is when you and your partner forget who you are and start to focus on each other.
- Many people consider oral sex, aside from stimulation with the hands and some other forms of stimulation, to be part third base. However, others still consider it part of their home run.
- This is the time when you will likely be uncoupling with your partner.
- You may feel anxious or self-conscious if this is your first time.
- Your partner has already seen you this far.
Home run Bases in Relationship – Sexual Intercourse
Common terms for penetration sex are “home run” and “home base”.
This term, out of all the bases, is the most universal. Everyone agrees that it refers to genital interaction.
It’s the ultimate form sexual intimacy, since reaching the homebase is the goal of baseball.
At this point, you’ve done everything together. It doesn’t matter if this is your first time hitting a home run.
It is important to communicate well and have good communication with your partner before you move on to the final base.
You can’t have sex after it happens so it’s important to share the experience with someone, whether you’re in a casual relationship or serious one.
Even though it isn’t something that mature adults want to discuss, they should consider protection against unexpected pregnancy or STIs.
It’s important that you have fun and relax once you are ready for sex.
Sex can be messy , awkward and clumy especially if you’re first time with someone new. Most people have high expectations and ideal experiences.
It’s fine to have fun and even encouraged. Instead, focus on strengthening your relationship with your partner.
You should not rush to reach this milestone. This will cause you to become influenced by your partner’s friends and their glowing character reviews.
4. Talk about your finances and Bases in Relationship
Worldwide, money (and all its associated issues) are a major cause of stress and breakups.
Understanding your partner’s money views early in the game is a smart move, maybe after a month of dating.
But finances are personal. It could end up being a short-term relationship. So, make sure you have the facts before you give your partner that knowledge.
5. Participating in work functions together for Bases in Relationship
Even though attending work events together may not be as important as meeting their families, it is still an act of solidarity as you are telling your coworkers that you are there together.
Consider taking your partner to work functions at the end of two months. This will give you an idea of how they are viewed professionally and if there is potential for success outside your relationship.
6. Family members meeting
Chances are that your partner will be close to their parents and you’ll have an early introduction to them to get their “approval”.
Meeting the parents is usually after at least three months of dating. Family introductions are important and signify that the relationship has serious potential.
Apart from building trust with potential partners, future spouses, meeting the parents of your significant other will provide insight into his values and any issues that might arise later.
7. Going on vacation with your partner
One thing that can make or break a relationship is traveling.
While some couples enjoy going on holiday together after just a few months of being together, others wait until the end of a year to plan a vacation.
Traveling together can be a joy or a nightmare, as you will be traveling to a new place.
Before you take this step and make it official, get to know your partner by watching their reactions to stress, challenges, daily responsibilities, and disagreements.
8. Move-in together
Moving in together is a major step in many relationships, right before marriage.
You don’t want to rush it, because moving in together is easier than moving out.
If you have been married for at least one year and you already keep half of your clothes and your toothbrush at home, it’s a good idea to share space.
Follow the Unique Timeline for Your Relationship
Every relationship develops and blossoms at its own pace.
Apart from sexual intimacy building, there are many other milestones you can reach and enjoy with your partner.
You and your partner will naturally take the next step together, depending on what works for you both.
A relationship coach can help you.
A relationship coach can provide valuable advice if you need it.
This is what I have personally experienced…
When I was going through a difficult time in my marriage, I reached out Relationship Heroes. I was lost in my thoughts for so many months and they provided me with a unique insight into my relationship dynamics and the best way to get it back on track.
Relationship Hero is a website where highly-trained relationship coaches can help couples navigate difficult and complicated love situations.
You can reach a certified relationship coach in just minutes and receive tailored advice.
My coach was so kind, compassionate, and helpful.